With footy finals only a matter of days away, we can smell bbq’s warming up around the country and Jayco’s food advisor, Dan Hawkins, shares his top three BBQ Hacks to turn your footy finals backyard barbie in to a flavour feast!
1. Use Spice!
This doesn't mean you need to lash your lamb chops in chilli, but be adventurous! Here is my recipe for a BBQ spice rub to use on your chops, steaks, kebabs and even vegies! Simply use the spice rub in place of salt and pepper. Oil, spice rub, grill - It’s that simple!
BBQ SPICE RUB
50 g Smoked Paprika
25 g Fine Salt
25 g Garlic Powder
25 g Castor Sugar
25 g Fennel Powder
15 g Dried Rosemary
25 g Cumin Powder
10 g Cayenne Pepper
25 g Chili Powder
1. In a dry bowl add all the ingredients and mix well to combine.
2. Pack down in an airtight container. The spice will keep for 3 months.
2. Throw another shrimp on the barbie!
Cliche? YES, but is it really an Aussie Finals Barbie without some Paul Hogan comments being thrown at the host grill chef after throwing some beautiful King Prawns on the grill?
Zingy, zesty and packing a punch, these chipotle and lime marinated prawns will knock socks off!
CHIPOTLE AND LIME MARINADE
4 Coriander roots, washed
100 g Chipotle in adobe
50 g Ginger
1 Clove garlic
50 ml EVOO
Juice and zest of 2 limes
12 x U8 King Prawns
1. Add all ingredients for the marinade into a blender or food processor and blend until it all comes together and makes a uniform paste.
2. Remove from the blender and set aside. This will keep for two weeks in a refrigerator.
3. Peel the shells from your prawns, remove the tract from the back.
4. Rub the prawns in the marinade just prior to grilling.
3. Try something new!
Sure we all love a Bunning’s snag, onions on the top or not? Let’s leave this one to the weekend handyman! For your footy BBQ get in to you local butcher and try something new! Goat, Venison, Kangaroo - There are plenty of “other” meat options out there. Venison steak, Kangaroo steak, don't overthink it, they are all steaks! Here's my tip for grilling meat on a barbie!
A timeless debate of how to cook a steak on the BBQ. Turn it once? Turn it as much as you like? Here is my technique for the perfectly cooked steak every time.
1. Lightly oil and season the steak with the spice rub and place onto very hot grill bars.
2. Allow to cook ¼ of the way to your desired temperature.
3. Turn the steak onto the raw side and allow to cook for the same degree.
4. Turn the steak again, back on to the first side, rotating 90” and cook for another 1⁄4 of the time. This creates the criss-cross grill bar effect, by this stage you should be at 3⁄4 cooking time.
5. Turn again on to the final side, and repeat the process above, rotating 90” and finishing the cooking time.
6. As with any cut of meat, roasting, grilling or pan cooking, allow to rest before serving. Resting time is generally ½ of the cooking time.
Most important tip - HAVE FUN!
Cooking for your friends and family on a day when two teams battle it out in fist and fury should be enjoyable. Enjoy the company, enjoy the game, enjoy the food and drinks – responsibly.
Oh and don’t forget, if your mates team loses, their on dishes! Well, they can do dishes, win or loose!